You’d be hard-pressed to go into the toothpaste and dental floss aisle in any store and not notice tons of teeth whitening kits. If you’ve been tempted to pick one up, you’re not alone.
Teeth whitening has become a hugely successful industry. However, you should know the difference between getting your teeth whitened professionally versus trying to do it yourself.
Why Do People Want Brighter, Whiter Smiles?
The trend toward stunning, gleaming teeth has been around for several generations, but every individual has a unique reason for wanting whiter teeth. Here are some of the common ones:
- The person has a big event coming up, like a wedding or class reunion.
- The person is preparing for a critical client meeting or job interview.
- The person is tired of having a yellow-looking smile.
- The person just finished orthodontic treatment and wants evenly colored teeth.
- The person is celebrating a milestone birthday or anniversary.
Again, the impetus to get white teeth varies from patient to patient. What doesn’t vary is the significant difference between trying to get whiter teeth with an over-the-counter kit and allowing a dental professional to do it.
What Is the Difference Between Professional and At-Home Teeth Whitening?
Both at-home and in-office teeth whitening have the same basic goal: to get an individual’s teeth at least a few shades whiter. But that’s where the similarity ends.
At-home kits tend to be messy and complicated. They may also be made from subpar products. Plenty of people who try them complain that they cause significant tooth and gum sensitivity. Others feel that they don’t whiten as advertised.
Professional dental whitening uses dental-grade material equipment and whitening systems that are powerful, safe for tooth enamel and time-tested. Although going to a dentist will cost more than buying whitening strips or gels, the session will almost always produce spectacular results that can’t be replicated at home.
What Are the Advantages of Professional Teeth Whitening?
What’s the bottom line when it comes to the benefits of allowing your dentist to handle your teeth whitening?
- You can often get whiter teeth in just one sitting. Imagine being able to get a brilliant smile in an hour!
- You’ll know that your teeth and gums are protected. Dentists only use products that are proven to be safe for patients.
- You can rely on the bleaching system. Dental teams rely on powerful, high-quality bleach that has been approved for the public.
- Your dentist will be honest about what you can realistically expect. Some tooth discolorations cannot be fixed with bleaching. If that’s the case, your dentist will let you know and recommend other cosmetic treatments such as placement of porcelain veneers to get you an amazing smile.
- Your dentist can introduce you to at-home kits you can’t buy in any retail store. Your dental team can also help you get teeth whitening kits for at-home use that really work and are designed with your comfort in mind.
Is Professional Teeth Whitening in Your Future?
You deserve to feel your best. If that means having whiter teeth, talk with your dentist at your next visit about the teeth whitening services.
Looking for a cosmetic dentist? Give us a call at Dental Choice.