Options for Anxious Patients
Our mission at Dental Choice is to provide comfortable treatments in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere so that all individuals feel relaxed and welcome at our offices. Our offices in Edmonton and Calgary, Alberta are committed to providing care that some patients with severe dental anxiety will find that they can overcome this fear.
Fear of the Dentist
Dental anxiety is an emotional condition characterized by fear of going to the dentist. Fear of the dentist is a serious problem that affects kids and adults alike. Some people go to the extent of putting up with severe dental issues and pain just to avoid visiting the dentist. This can prevent you from receiving proper, timely oral care. Here are some of the causes of dental anxiety.
- Fear of Pain: Although dental procedures are relatively painless, some patients dread going to the dentist due to misguided misconceptions. Many still think dental treatment consists of painful procedures.
- Traumatic Experience: A negative experience might cause someone to be anxious during their next visit.
- Embarrassment: Some patients fear being teased about their oral hygiene.
- Feeling of Helplessness: The feeling of lack of control during dental treatment might cause some people to become anxious about treatment.
At Dental Choice, we have some of the best dentists who can help you overcome your dental anxiety. We use simple methods for treating dental phobias, such as exposure therapy, cognitive behavior therapy and group therapy among many others.
We also provide several different types of sedation techniques — oral sedatives, nitrous oxide and IV sedation — as a way of making our patients relaxed and comfortable during treatment. Sedation is not only safe, but it’s highly effective. Furthermore, it works quickly, and patients can still communicate with the dentist when sedated. Call us today and let us help you overcome this problem.
Importance of Receiving Care
Some individuals with dental anxiety have had an unpleasant experience at other dental offices in the past, or they may have an innate phobia of undergoing dental work. As a result, they may avoid going to the dentist for long periods and neglect possible problems with their oral health. We know how important regular check-ups and cleanings are to maintaining a healthy mouth. Failure to receive necessary dental care could lead to serious tooth decay and gum disease that could eventually require tooth extractions, root canal therapy, or other extensive treatments to correct.
Types of Sedation Techniques for Anxious Patients
We utilize three main types of sedation techniques, including:
- Oral sedatives — Oral sedatives are taken by the patient 30 minutes to an hour before their procedure.
- Nitrous oxide sedation — Nitrous oxide is also called “laughing gas,” and the patient inhales it to induce a relaxed state.
- IV sedation — IV sedation involves a powerful sedative the patient receives intravenously.
These sedation techniques help reduce patient anxiety as well as allow for longer procedures and multiple treatments that can be performed without patient discomfort.
A device known as “the wand” reduces the amount of numbness experienced in other areas of the mouth and face by freezing the affected tooth.
Call our office in Edmonton or Calgary to find “the wand” at an office near you.
Schedule a Consultation
Don’t delay receiving treatment any longer because of dental anxiety. Contact a Dental Choice office in Calgary or Edmonton, Alberta to schedule an appointment today.