Custom Mouth Guards and Sports Guards
What is the “MG”?
At Dental Choice, we call our custom made mouth guards “MG”. We not only want to sell athletes our product, but we want to create a culture promoting the usage of the MG to protect your teeth. Each patient is unique. To learn more about costs and pricing for dental procedures, please contact us.
Why Use a Mouth Guard?
The purpose of the sports mouth guard is to act as a shock absorber in the mouth to protect the teeth from excessive forces. The mouth guard also protects your head and brain from a concussion if the blow is onto the lower jaw. This is a significant reason in why boxers wear a mouth guard.
A well-designed mouth guard also protects the jaw joints (TMJ) from injury by supporting and cushioning the jaw joints in times of blunt forces to the lower jaw. In harsh blows, this can even reduce the risk of jaw fracture.
Well made mouth guards adapt smoothly to the upper teeth and gums, staying firmly in place, even when speaking, breathing heavily or playing sports very actively. There are several specific design options, but for the vast majority of people the customized smooth upper mouth guard is the correct choice. Ask your dentist or assistant if you believe you need another type.
The MG Procedure
A custom mouth guard requires two appointments, each about 20 minutes long. The first appointment requires an upper impression. Then, the second appointment is about a week later, to pick up your MG. Make sure you tell us if you want a specific color, or just clear.
Impressions of your teeth are made, so that the MG is personalized to your individual teeth. Again, this appointment is approximately 20 minutes long. This is also the appointment that you specify what color you want your MG to be.
Second appointment – come pick up your MG! We want to make sure it fits properly before you head home with it. You may choose to keep the dental mould for your mouth guard. You also get a carrying case to keep your MG in.
The Difference Between Store Bought Mouth Guards and Custom-made Mouth Guards
Cheap mouth guards can be purchased from most drug stores. They generally do not fit well and are difficult to keep in place. That is your bargain option.
Dental Choice offers two levels of professional mouth guards. You can choose between a standard custom guard or if you like you can get a cool personalized custom guard.
With the personalized guards you can select the style and design that you prefer, ranging from Canada flags to wild colors. This customization makes it difficult to mix up mouth guards in the locker room.
You will receive your custom made mouth guard mounted on a dental model and with a carrying case. Place the guard on the model whenever it is not in use. Rinse the model after each use and use the carrying case to protect the model and the guard.
In children, mouth guards need to be replaced approximately once a year as their mouth grows and changes. In adults, the mouth guard needs to be replaced as it wears out, usually about once every three years.
Pricing for Dental Mouthguards
If you need a mouthguard, you may be debating between a store-bought option or the custom MG we offer at Dental Choice. There are advantages to choosing a professionally-produced mouthguard custom made by your dentist to fit your individual teeth.
Price Rundown for Dental Mouthguards
Here is a breakdown of the various mouthguards available from least expensive upward:
- The cheapest option is to purchase a mouthguard from a sports store or a local drugstore.
- Custom mouthguards can also be purchased online. These companies send you an at-home teeth mold where you will create a bite impression and thenreturn it. They will then custom-create a mouthguard based on this mold. This option runs a little more than the store-bought mouthguards.
- Mouthguards created by your dentist are the most expensive option because of the care taken to produce an appliance that provides the greatest degree of fit, comfort and protection.
Factors Affecting the Price of a Dentist-Made Mouthguard
Although it may seem less economical to purchase a mouthguard from your dentist, it may be the safest and wisest choice for your teeth, especially for those who play sports. If you are wondering what affects the price of a dentist-made mouthguard, here are some factors that can influence the cost:
- Mouthguards are custom-created using professional dental laboratory fabrication techniques.
- The dentist makes an accurate mold of your teeth, so you don’t have to worry about making an inexact dental impression using an at-home mold kit.
- If adjustments are needed, your dentist can conveniently address any concerns.
- Mouthguards can be personalized, letting you select the color, style and design so that your mouthguard is distinct.
- Many bargain mouthguards are thick and bulky, whereas dental mouthguards have a slim and comfortable fit.
If you would like more information about pricing for the MG at Dental Choice, make an appointment to speak with one of our Edmonton dentists today.
Schedule a Consultation at a Dental Choice Location Near You
To see an example of a mouth guard, contact a Dental Choice location in Edmonton or Calgary. One of our General Dentists will be able to describe to you the different types and choices you have with your own custom fit mouth guard.
For information on our other General Dentistry services, please check out the pages below: