Home whitening systems are more popular than ever, and the good news is that some systems do truly work. Because peroxide is used, it should be applied only after dental evaluation by a Dentist. The Dentist examines gum shrinkage, nerve exposure, number and size of fillings and crowns, the degree of discoloration, type of discoloration, success potential, and risk of sensitivity.
- Have the dental team fabricate custom-made teeth whitening trays for you. These trays allow you to pick which teeth get whitened and prevent too much bleaching agent from contacting the gums.
- Just before bedtime, brush and floss your teeth. Rinse well.
- Place one drop of bleaching gel at each tooth position of the custom-made trays. Be careful not to place too much solution at each site.
- Place the teeth whitening tray firmly over the teeth. Wear the two trays (upper and lower) while you sleep and remove them in the morning. The teeth should get at least 6 hours of exposure.
- Continue each night for one, two, or three weeks, depending on how white you want your teeth to be. If you experience an increase in tooth sensitivity, we recommend you do not continue on with the treatment and to contact one of our dentists immediately.
- Keep the teeth whitening trays upside down when not in use so that they dry out before the next use.
Occasional Side Effects:
- Whitening systems do not lighten porcelain crowns or fillings. You may need to get these replaced if they are prominent.
- Some patients report that their teeth become sensitive to cold and biting pressure for a short time during and after treatment. This discomfort goes away, usually within a couple of days. If you have any concerns, call us.
- Your gingiva or gum tissue may react to the bleaching gel. If gum irritation occurs, simply use less bleaching gel. If it persists, give us a call.
- If bleaching trays are worn too long, discomfort in the jaw joints may occur. This goes away after the trays are removed.
Difference between Store Bought and Professional Whitening Trays
Please note, store-bought bleaching kits do not include a good custom fitted tray and often do not have the same concentration of bleaching agent. They use a standard one-size-fits-all tray that may or may not touch the teeth evenly. Because of this, the bleaching process takes longer and is less effective. The professional whitening trays provided by Dental Choice are custom fitted to your teeth. You are welcome to try store bought bleaching kits, but we highly recommend our professional custom fitted trays.
Why Choose Teeth Whitening Trays From Your Dentist Over Store-Bought Brands?
Most store-bought whitening products aren’t effective because they’re either too weak and have little to no effect on teeth, or they’re too strong and are dangerous to use. Professional teeth whitening trays from the dentist are safe, effective and done under the supervision of a dental specialist. In many cases, it’s worth the extra cost to visit a qualified dentist to get safe and long-lasting results.
Furthermore, whitening performed at the dentist’s office is much more controlled, easier to use and produces the best results. At Dental Choice, we use the tray system since it gives our patients a lot of flexibility. Plus, it’s easier to retouch every few months to maintain a vibrant smile. The results from the whitening kits we use in Calgary and Edmonton should last anywhere from six months to one year.
We make sure all our patients leave satisfied with the results they get from our in-office treatments at Dental Choice. We also offer custom-made home whitening alternatives that are less messy and more comfortable to use than store-bought kits. If you have any questions, please contact us at our office in either Calgary or Edmonton today.
To learn more about our Cosmetic Dentistry services, please check out the pages below: