The New Year is always an exciting time for change and resolutions — a time when many people vow to live a healthier life. New Year’s resolutions for a healthy mouth can go a long way in giving you a brighter, healthier smile in 2020. Read on to discover some of the best ways to improve your oral health in the New Year.Book an appointment
New Year’s Resolutions for Better Health
Oral health is a major component of overall health and is fundamental to long-term wellness. As you’re thinking about New Year’s resolutions, consider committing to a number of oral health resolutions to put you on track to your goals.
2020 is the year to:
- Make flossing a priority: Daily flossing helps prevent bad breath, or halitosis, gum disease and tooth decay. While tooth brushing helps prevent cavities on the surfaces of your teeth, flossing prevents cavities by cleaning the hard-to-reach areas in your mouth.
- Drink fluoridated water: Fluoride makes teeth more resistant to the acid that can cause cavities. Drinking fluoridated water in the New Year is an excellent way to prevent cavities and improve your oral health.
- Eat more mouth-healthy foods: Eating fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as nuts and legumes, improve your body’s ability to fight inflammation and bacteria. Lean proteins contain phosphorus that can help strengthen teeth, and foods high in fiber can increase saliva production to remove plaque. Mouth-healthy foods can also freshen breath and clean plaque from teeth.
- Chew sugarless gum: Prevent tooth decay by chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes following meals.
- Set a timer when you brush: For successful bacterial plaque removal, it’s essential to brush at least twice a day for two minutes each time. When you brush your teeth, position the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle toward the gum line.
- Quit tobacco products: There is no better time than the New Year to quit tobacco use and cigarette smoking. Free online tools such as smoking cessation groups can be helpful when it comes to quitting tobacco. Your overall health will benefit and your teeth will thank you.
Visit Your Dental Hygiene Office
When it comes to keeping your mouth healthy, your dentist knows what’s best. A dental hygienist can screen for oral health issues and even help prevent oral diseases from developing. At Dental Choice, we recommend you visit your dental hygienist every three to six months for optimal oral health.
Dental Choice offers fully equipped dental offices in 16 locations near Edmonton and Calgary. Our team of dental hygienists are committed to monitoring for oral cavities and developing treatment plans tailored to your needs.
Schedule a Teeth Cleaning Appointment Today
Are you ready to boost your oral health care routine this year? Contact Dental Choice today or schedule an appointment with us online. At Dental Choice, we’re committed to serving our patients with high-quality, professional care. We strive to offer compassionate dentistry for the whole family and are excited to help you reach your New Year’s resolutions!Book an appointment