Back to school! It’s back to the drawing board, and strategizing exactly what kind of packed lunch to assemble for the kids is once again, a battle to be won.
Many factors can contribute to the stress– is it healthy enough? Is there enough to last the day? Does it require refrigeration? Will my kids be embarrassed by their lunch? Will they find it tasty? What about allergies?
As a dental company, we can make some recommendations to point you in the right direction. Some key nutrients we want to keep in mind while doing the groceries are: Calcium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Protein. Of course, things which are low in added sugar and unhealthy fats are always a plus. According to a recent Huffington Post article, some excellent suggestions are:
- Cheese, milk, yogurt (Calcium)
- Carrots, celery, pear (Fights oral bacteria)
- Oranges, kiwi, red pepper, tuna, hard-boiled eggs (Vitamins A, C, D)
- Chicken, turkey and ham deli slices, chicken soup (Protein)
- Water (No added sugar, cleanses mouth)
Best of luck, parents and guardians!
Referenced article is available here.